Home Health News Indiana girl almost loses leg after contracting rare flesh-eating bacteria on vacation to Florida beach – KABC-TV

Indiana girl almost loses leg after contracting rare flesh-eating bacteria on vacation to Florida beach – KABC-TV

3 min read
0
79

MOORESVILLE, Ind. — A family vacation to a Florida beach left a 12-year-old Indiana girl hospitalized with a life-threatening infection.

The girl contracted a flesh-eating bacteria from warm Gulf of Mexico waters through a tiny scratch on her toe, reported WXYN.

Michelle Brown and her 12-year-old daughter Kylei are thankful to be sitting on their Mooresville patio. Thankful to be walking and thankful to be alive.

“It’s just so hard seeing friends and family, you know, on the beach having fun, because we were there doing the same thing and I almost lost her,” said Kylei’s mom Michelle.

Earlier this month, the family was vacationing in Destin, Florida when Kylei began feeling pain in her leg. When they got back to Indiana, the pain turned into swelling and then a fever.

Kylei was taken to the E.R. and was soon in surgery.

“The emergency surgery was to hopefully save her leg, but more importantly to save her life,” Michelle said.

Kylei contracted a rare bacterial infection called necrotizing fasciitis, an aggressive, life-threatening infection that kills one out of every three people who get it.

“If it wasn’t for their quick responses and aggressive treatments, I wouldn’t have her,” Michelle said.

It’s usually found in water and enters through an open wound.

On their trip to the beach, Kylei stuck her toes in the water just days after scuffing her toe on a skateboard.

“It started from a spot on her toe, a scuff on her toe and, I mean, it almost cost her her life,” Michelle said.

Finally back home, Kylei still has a needle in her arm for antibiotics.

Her leg is still wrapped and she’s starting therapy to walk again.

I’ve told my mom multiple times I just want to be normal again, like, with my leg,” Kylei said.

As they start their long road to recovery, Michelle wants other families to know the dangers and the signs so other family vacations to the beach don’t end in tragedy.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

A common numbing medication turned a woman's blood blue – NBC News

A 25-year-old woman in Rhode Island gave new meaning to the phrase “feeling blue” when she…