OMAHA, Neb. (KMTV) — If you are spending your Fourth of July outside, either with friends or family or just hanging by the pool, it’s important to keep your health in mind. Here are some helpful grilling and sunscreen tips to help you today.
Grilling safety: Blackened bits on char-grilled food could contain cancer-causing compounds – Mary Mosquera Cochran, a dietician at Ohio State University Medical Center offers some grill tips.
– Limit grill time by defrosting meat first.
– Reduce cook time by making kebabs.
– Trim fat to prevent drippings which create smoke.
– Use a marinade that contains vinegar or lemon juice to cut down on flare ups.
– Flip grilled meat often to prevent dripping juices.
Sunscreen tips – Dr. Llana Pootrakul, a dermatologist at Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center offers these tips to protect your skin.
– Applying once isn’t enough – you should reapply every two hours.
– There’s more than one type, and the difference is important. Chemical blockers wear off quicker, and people can be allergic. Dr. Pootrakul recommends physical blockers, which are often cheaper!
– Buy higher than SPF 50. We never apply as much as we should – making SPF 50 only as strong as SPF 30.
– When you spray sunscreen, spray more & rub it in.